Tuesday 2 February 2016

Jolla Tablet experiments

It's been a while since I contributed to this blog. Now there's subject matter to post again - the once hailed, now infamous Jolla Tablet (JT).

The rise and fall of JT is roughly (and perhaps one-sidedly) told on Jolla Official blog , and in a more downright way on Review Jolla blog , TechCrunch and other news sites, and by numerous Indiegogo backers who paid 239$ or 269$, but ended up with no tablet nor refund (yet) - just lots of empty promises.
Me, I ordered JT from Jolla shop directly, and was promptly refunded when I demanded my money back after waiting for months for JT to arrive. So - no bad blood personally between me and Jolla. But I wanted to share info and experience I've gained since I took on their tablet offer that ended up being, apparently, almost completely vaporware.
So, the first phase after asking for and receiving my funds back, was to check if the claim by Twitter account @skvark : was true. The accompanying link showed JTs on sale at the Chinese Taobao shop. I ordered one through OBook (http://www.myobook.net/), Shanghai, and paid ~230$ + VAT for it. The tablet came without Jolla's Sailfish OS, with Android 4.4.4 installed instead. Here's a photo of it. It's nice! But I miss Sailfish OS!
 

 I announced the event in my Twitter account (handle @psjuma , https://twitter.com/psjuma/status/693373799249633281), and it quickly gained some attention. It led to a discussion of why there are Jolla tablets on sale by others when Jolla can't deliver them to Indiegogo tablet campaign backers, and does Jolla provide Sailfish OS to these tablets. Quick answers to these issues can be read in Jolla Official Blog and Review Jolla blog

To my opinion, the matter is not completely settled still - only after the refunds are complete, I think we can make conclusions about Jolla Ltd.'s honesty and trustworthiness on the matter. Apparently, now there is no way to get a tablet from Jolla. Instead, people are supposedly ordering them from Taobao or other 3rd parties possessing them. Installing Sailfish OS on such unofficially acquired tablets is a mystery: can it be done, will it work, will it update etc. That's what I'm about to find out next.

No comments:

Post a Comment